Patapsco Valley State Park. Photo by Sunshine Whispers.

Es Mi Parque: History of Patapsco Valley State Park in English and Spanish

02/26/2019
By Waxter Intern

Maryland State Parks has created their Es Mi Parque program to better connect a large and growing number of Latino visitors to the cultural, recreational and historic resources of Maryland. In partnership, Preservation Maryland will produce a series of brief park histories in English and Spanish, including Catoctin Furnace at Cunningham Falls State Park and the following history of Patapsco Valley State Park.

In English

Patapsco Valley State Park: A History of the River, Giving and Taking

Patapsco Valley State Park, once called Patapsco Forest Reserve, was Maryland’s first state park. It was founded in 1907 with an original gift of 43 acres from John M. Glenn to the state of Maryland. The Park has expanded greatly since then to include more than 16,000 acres in four Maryland counties that touch upon the Patapsco River and its valley. Because of this location, the history of the Patapsco Valley is closely tied to the natural resources and bounty of the river and its surroundings, but also to the periodic destruction caused by flooding. The Valley and the Park both hold much history and many firsts in history too.

Early Occupants and Explorers

In the 1600s, long before the land of the Patapsco Valley State Park was bought and sold by European settlers, it was an essential part of the lives of the Piscataway and Susquehannock peoples as they hunted and fished the area for its plentiful game. As European settlers arrived to the area, their communities were forever changed due to war and disease and their populations dwindled as the European settlers increased in number. Some remaining original peoples were absorbed into groups elsewhere and some of the Piscataway remained near Zekiah Swamp Reservation in southern Maryland.

In 1608, Captain John Smith mapped the Chesapeake Bay and some of its rivers, including parts of the Patapsco River, with stunning detail. He discovered iron ore and limestone along the river and wrote of the area’s natural resources and beauty, which attracted colonists to the area. There is a stone marker in Patapsco Valley State Park along the Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail, which follows the path of Smith and his crew through their early documentation of much of the Northeast.

Historic painting of Avalon Iron Works.

Elkridge Landing Harbor and Avalon Iron Works

After European settlers established their footings in the Patapsco River Valley, Elkridge Landing Harbor became an important port for their economies, similar to Annapolis. The Harbor was established in 1690 and was large and deep enough to hold oceangoing ships full of tobacco, flour, textiles, and iron destined for England.

A little farther upstream was a community known as Avalon that was home to the Avalon Nail and Iron Works. The Avalon Nail and Iron Works was originally the Dorsey Forge until it was acquired and expanded by the Ellicott family in 1815. Previously, guns from the Dorsey Forge were moved across the Old Gun Road Bridge to Elkridge Landing, where they were shipped to Annapolis. George Washington supposedly created the road to move iron and guns for the American Revolution. The Old Gun Road Bridge can still be seen in the Avalon area of the State Park today.

With the commercial success of the area came a depletion of natural resources to fuel that economy. The iron forges were fueled by clearing much of the surrounding forest to create and burn charcoal. Forests were also cleared for the tobacco industry. With few trees and roots in place, erosion washed silt downriver, filling the Elkridge Landing Harbor and making it too shallow for large ships. Elkridge Landing and Avalon both met their ends when the Great Flood of 1868 caused waters to rise 45 feet higher than normal and washed away most of the infrastructure. Only remnants of the Harbor and Avalon remain. The Elkridge Furnace Inn, a restaurant and event space, can be visited just off Route One. The only Avalon house to survive the flood is now the Park’s Visitor Center.

Hilton Estate

The area of the park donated by John M. Glenn is known as the Hilton area and was once a plantation. The original historic house was built in 1825 for James W. McCulloh and was subsequently passed through several private owners. Robert E. Lee visited the original structure several times when Lee supervised the construction of Fort Carroll in the mid-1800s. The main part of the historic property with the house was purchased by George Worth Knapp in 1917 and was reconstructed by Baltimore architect Edward L. Palmer.

In 1963, the Baltimore County Board of Education bought the central part of the Hilton Estate, which was made into the Community College of Baltimore County-Catonsville Branch. The historic house can still be seen today as the College’s administration building. Much of the rest of the surrounding acreage has been developed for housing.

The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad

The area that is now Patapsco Valley State Park played an important role in the development of the railroad system in the United States. The Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad was the first commercial railroad in not only Maryland, but the whole United States.

An impressive example of railroad infrastructure is the Thomas Viaduct located in the State Park. Thomas Viaduct is the oldest railway bridge in the world that is made of stone with multiple arches and on a curve and at the time of its completion in 1835 was the largest railroad bridge in the United States. It was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1964 for its history, design, and engineering.

The Thomas Viaduct was designed by Benjamin Latrobe with eight arches and a curved shape crossing the Patapsco River. The Thomas Viaduct’s design caused people to doubt its sturdiness, however it has withstood the passing of time, including the Great Flood in 1868 and Tropical Storm Agnes in 1972. In 1844 the viaduct was even used for Samuel Morse’s experimental telegraph line connecting Washington, DC and Baltimore, Maryland. The Thomas Viaduct has been used for transportation and communication for almost two centuries and is still used by CSX today.

Orange Grove Flour Mill & SWINGING BRIDGE

Other unique historic remnants in the State Park are at the Orange Grove area where there is a rebuilt swinging bridge and remains of the Orange Grove Flour Mill. The Mill was constructed in 1856 and was the largest flour mill in the South. It used water from the river for power and then used the B&O Railroad for shipment and sale of flour. Workers at the Mill lived in a town on the Howard County side of the river and used a swinging bridge to get to work each day. The town and bridge were washed away in the Great Flood of 1868 and the mill was damaged. The mill reopened, but it later closed and was destroyed by a fire in 1905. The replica swinging bridge and some remnants of the Mill still exist today even after the  floods and fires over the years.

Bloede’s Water Works

Victor Bloede created Baltimore County Water and Electric Company in the early 1900’s to address the problem of inadequate water in Southwest Baltimore City and County. He built the water filtration plant on the site of the old Avalon Nail and Iron Works. The concrete settling tanks can still be seen near the Avalon Visitor Center. Bloede also created the world’s first underwater hydroelectric plant in 1907 just upriver of the Orange Grove area. Bloede’s Dam is currently in the process of removal for a variety of reasons. The remains of another dam, the Avalon Dam, destroyed by Tropical Storm Agnes in 1972, can be seen upriver from Shelter #105.

Camp at Vineyard by Besley.

Fred Besley and the Success of Maryland’s State Parks

Maryland State Parks originally began in 1906 with the establishment of the Maryland State Board of Forestry. It is one of the oldest state park systems in the United States. Patapsco Valley Forest Reserve was its first state park in 1907.

Fred Besley was Maryland’s first State Forester and served the longest of them all, from 1906 to 1942. He is well known for greatly decreasing acreage lost to forest fires by using a system of volunteer “fire wardens” to fight fires. His other important contribution was opening up and encouraging the use of public lands for recreation, which would bring in revenue and support for forest preservation. Starting around 1916 he camped with his family in the Orange Grove area to encourage people to come enjoy the outdoors. People could camp the whole summer for free as long as they obeyed regulations. Visitors stayed in WWI canvas tents on wooden platforms and even had electricity for lighting and radios.

The Civilian Conservation Corps

To help the United States recover during the Great Depression, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt established the New Deal, a series of programs and public works projects to provide jobs, relief, and stabilization of the economy. One of the New Deal programs was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), which put men to work to improve the condition of America’s natural resources and provide better access to them.

The 356th Company of the Civilian Conservation Corps worked and lived in Patapsco Forest Reserve, first in tents and then in cabins in Camp Tydings. Much of the work they did included planting trees, building current shelters, quarrying stone, improving roads, and creating hiking trails.

Camp Tydings was later used during WWII as the first camp for conscientious objectors in the United States. These pacifists did civil service work through the Park instead of serving in the military until the camp closed in August 1942. The remnants of Camp Tydings can be seen in the Avalon area of the park. The chimney of Shelter #1 was originally the chimney of the recreation hall.

Destruction from Tropical Storm Agnes

Hurricane Agnes was a massive tropical storm and cyclone that damaged much of the Eastern Seaboard and Mid-Atlantic in 1972. At the time, it was the costliest hurricane to hit the United States in recorded history.

Agnes damaged part of Maryland including Patapsco Valley State Park, where waters reached 40 feet higher than normal and, anecdotally reached almost to the top of the arches of the Thomas Viaduct. Many of the historic resources of the Park were damaged or lost in the hurricane, including the park headquarters in the Orange Grove area. River Road was washed out near Ilchester and part of it is only open to foot traffic even today. The southern park area was closed for repairs, but later reopened.

Female Firsts

In 1974 Linda Wilkins became the first female Park Ranger in Maryland, stationed at Patapsco Valley State Park. Later in the 1970’s Cindy Hyde became the first female maintenance worker in the Maryland State Park System. She started at Sandy Point State Park and later came to work at Patapsco.

Patapsco Valley Heritage Area

The Patapsco Valley Heritage Area also known as the Patapsco Heritage Greenway works to preserve, protect, interpret, and restore the local environment, history, and culture. They partner with the park to support it through stewardship, recreation, heritage tourism, and more.

En Espanol

Patapsco Valley State Park: Una Historia del Río, Dar y Recibir

Patapsco Valley State Park, una vez llamado la reserva forestal de Patapsco, fue el primer parque estatal de Maryland. Fue creado en 1907 con un regalo original de 43 acres de John M. Glenn al estado de Maryland. El parque se ha expandido grandemente desde entonces para incluir más de 16.000 acres en cuatro condados de Maryland que tocan sobre el río Patapsco y su valle. Debido a esta ubicación, la historia del Valle de Patapsco está estrechamente ligada a los recursos naturales y la abundancia del río y sus alrededores, pero también a la destrucción periódica causada por las inundaciones. El Valle y el Parque tienen mucha historia y muchos primeros en la historia.

Los Primeros Ocupantes y Exploradores

En los 1600s, mucho antes de que la tierra del Patapsco Valley State Park fuera comprada y vendida por colonos europeos, era una parte esencial de las vidas de los pueblos Piscataway y Susquehannock quienes cazaban y pescaban la zona para su abundante caza. A medida que los colonos europeos llegaron a la zona, sus comunidades cambiaron para siempre debido a la guerra y las enfermedades y sus poblaciones redujeron a medida que los colonos europeos aumentaron en número. Algunos de los pueblos originarios restantes fueron absorbidos en grupos en otros lugares y algunos de los Piscataway se quedaban cerca de la Reserva del Patano de Zekiah en el sur de Maryland.

En 1608, el capitán John Smith cartografió la bahía de Chesapeake y algunos de sus ríos, incluyendo partes del río Patapsco, con un detalle impresionante. Descubrió el mineral de hierro y la piedra caliza a lo largo del río y escribió sobre los recursos naturales y la belleza de la zona, que atrajo a los colonos a la zona. Hay un marcador de piedra en Patapsco Valley State Park a lo largo del Chesapeake camino histórico nacional de capitán John Smith, que sigue el camino de Smith y su tripulación a través de su documentación temprana de gran parte del noreste.

Elkridge Landing Harbor y Avalon Iron Works

Después de que los colonos europeos establecieron sus bases en la valle del río Patapsco, Elkridge Landing Harbor (el puerto de Elkridge Landing) se convirtió en un puerto importante para sus economías, similar a Annapolis. El puerto fue establecido en 1690 y era suficientemente grande y profundo como para contener buques del océano llenos de tabaco, harina, textiles, y hierro destinados para Inglaterra.

Un poco más arriba en el río era una comunidad conocida como Avalon que era el hogar de Avalon Nail and Iron Works (la fábrica de clavos y hierro de Avalon). Avalon Nail and Iron Works fue originalmente la forja de Dorsey hasta que fue adquirida y ampliada por la familia Ellicott en 1815. Anteriormente, las armas de la forja de Dorsey fueron trasladadas a través del viejo puente del camino del arma a Elkridge Landing, donde fueron enviados a Annapolis. George Washington supuestamente creó el camino para mover el hierro y las armas para la revolución americana. El viejo puente del camino del arma se puede ver todavía en el área de Avalon del parque estatal hoy.

Con el éxito comercial de la zona, surgió un agotamiento de los recursos naturales para alimentar esta economía. Las forjas de hierro se alimentaron cortando gran parte del bosque circundante para crear y quemar carbón vegetal. Los bosques también fueron despejados para la industria de tabaco. Con pocos arboles y raíces en su lugar, la erosión lavó limo al río abajo, llenando Elkridge Landing Harbor y haciéndolo poco profundo para los buques grandes. Elkridge Landing y Avalon ambos encontraron sus fines cuando el gran diluvio de 1868 causó que las aguas se elevara 45 feet más alto de lo normal y lavó la mayor parte de la infraestructura. Sólo quedan los restos del puerto y Avalon. El Elkridge Furnace Inn, un restaurante y espacio para eventos, se puede visitar justo al lado de la ruta uno. La única casa en Avalon que sobrevivió a la inundación es ahora el Centro de Visitantes del parque.

La Finca de Hilton

El área del parque donado por John M. Glenn se conoce como el área Hilton y fue una vez una plantación. La casa histórica original fue construida en 1825 para James W. McCulloh y posteriormente se pasó a través de varios dueños privados. Robert E. Lee visitó la estructura original varias veces cuando Lee supervisó la construcción del Fort Carroll a mediados de los 1800s. La parte principal de la propiedad histórica con la casa, fue comprada por George Worth Knapp en 1917 y fue reconstruida por un arquitecto de Baltimore Edward L. Palmer.

En 1963, la Junta de Educación del Condado de Baltimore compró la parte central de la finca de Hilton, que fue hecha en el Community College of Baltimore County-Catonsville Branch. La casa histórica todavía se puede ver hoy como el edificio de administración de la Universidad. Gran parte del resto del terreno circundante se ha sido desarrollado para la vivienda.

El Ferrocarril de Baltimore y Ohio

La área que ahora es Patapsco Valley State Park ha desempeñado un papel importante en el desarrollo del sistema ferroviario en los Estados Unidos. El Ferrocarril de Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) fue el primer ferrocarril comercial no sólo en Maryland, sino en todo Estados Unidos.

Un impresionante ejemplo de infraestructura ferroviario es el viaducto de Thomas ubicado en el parque estatal. El viaducto de Thomas es el puente ferroviario más antiguo del mundo, hecho de piedra con múltiples arcos y en una curva, y en el momento de su finalización en 1835 fue el puente ferroviario más grande en los Estados Unidos. Fue designado como Monumento Histórico Nacional en 1964 por su historia, diseño e ingeniería.

El viaducto de Thomas fue diseñado por Benjamin Latrobe con ocho arcos y una forma curvada cruzando el río Patapsco. El diseño del viaducto de Thomas causó que la gente dudara su robustez, sin embargo ha resistido el paso de tiempo, incluyendo el gran diluvio en 1868 y la tormenta tropical Agnes en 1972. En 1844, el viaducto se utilizó incluso para la línea de telégrafo experimental de Samuel Morse que conectaba Washington, DC y Baltimore, Maryland. El viaducto de Thomas se ha utilizado para el transporte y la comunicacion por casi dos siglos y todavía es utilizado por CSX hoy.

El molino de harina de Orange Grove

Otros restos históricos únicos en el parque estatal están en el área de Orange Grove, donde hay un puente de balanceo reconstruido y restos del la fábrica harinera de Orange Grove. La fábrica fue construida en 1856 y era la fábrica harinera más grande del sur. Utilizó el agua del río para la energía y después utilizó el ferrocarril de B&O para el envío y la venta de la harina. Los trabajadores en la fábrica vivían en un pueblo en el lado del río del Condado de Howard y utilizaban un puente de balanceo para llegar al trabajo cada día. El pueblo y el puente fueron arrasados en el gran diluvio de 1868 y la fábrica fue dañada. La fábrica se reabrió, pero más tarde cerró y fue destruida por un incendio en 1905. La réplica del puente de balaceo y algunos restos del la fábrica todavía existen hoy en día, incluso después de las inundaciones y los incendios a lo largo de los años.

Bloede’s Water Works (Planta de Agua)

Victor Bloede creó la compañía de agua y electricidad del condado de Baltimore a principios de 1900 para abordar el problema del agua inadecuada en el suroeste de la ciudad y condado de Baltimore. Bloede construyó la planta de filtración de agua en el sitio de la vieja Avalon Nail and Iron Works. Los tanques de sedimentación de hormigón todavía se pueden ver cerca del centro de visitantes de Avalon.

Bloede también creó la primera planta hidroeléctrica submarina del mundo en 1907 río arriba del área de Orange Grove. La presa de Bloede está actualmente en proceso de eliminación por una variedad de razones. Los restos de otra presa, la presa de Avalon, destruida por la tormenta tropical Agnes en 1972, se puede ver río arriba desde Shelter #105.

Fred Besley y el éxito de los parques estatales de Maryland

Los parques estatales de Maryland originalmente comenzaron en 1906 con el establecimiento de la Junta Forestal del Estado de Maryland. Es uno de los sistemas de parques estatales más antiguos en los Estados Unidos. La reserva forestal del Valle de Patapsco fue su primer parque estatal en 1907.

Fred Besley fue el primer silvicultor estatal de Maryland y sirvió la carrera más larga, de 1906 a 1942. Es bien conocido por la considerable reducción del área perdida por los incendios forestales por el uso de bomberos voluntarios.. Su otra contribución importante fue la apertura y el fomento del uso de tierras públicas para la recreación, lo que aportaría ingresos y apoyo para la preservación de los bosques. Comenzando alrededor de 1916, él acampó con su familia en el área de Orange Grove para animar a la gente a venir a disfrutar del aire libre. La gente podía acampar todo el verano de forma gratuita con tal de que ellos obedecerían las regulaciones. Los visitantes se quedaban en las carpas de lona de la WWI en plataformas de maderas e incluso tenían electricidad para iluminación y radios.

El cuerpo de conversación civil

Para ayudar a los Estados Unidos a recuperarse durante la gran depresión, el presidente Franklin Delano Roosevelt estableció el nuevo acuerdo, una serie de programas y proyectos de obras públicas para proporcionar empleo, alivio, y estabilización de la economía. Uno de los programas del nuevo acuerdo fue el cuerpo de conservación civil (CCC), que puso a los hombres a trabajar para mejorar la condición de los recursos naturales de los Estados Unidos y para proporcionar mejor acceso a ellos.

La 356a compañía del cuerpo de conservación civil trabajó y vivió en la reserva forestal de Patapsco, primero en carpas y después en cabañas en Camp Tydings. Gran parte del trabajo que hicieron incluyó la plantación de árboles, la construcción de refugios actuales, la cantera de piedra, la mejora de carreteras, y la creación de rutas de senderismo.

Camp Tydings fue utilizado más tarde durante la segunda guerra mundial como el primer campo para objetores de conciencia en los Estados Unidos. Estos pacifistas hicieron el trabajo de servicio civil a través del parque en vez de servir en el ejército hasta que el campamento cerró en agosto 1942. Los restos de Camp Tydings se pueden ver en la área de Avalon del parque. La chimenea de Shelter #1 fue originalmente la chimenea de la sala recreativa.

Damage by Hurricane Agnes.

Destrucción de la tormenta tropical Agnes

Huracán Agnes fue una tormenta tropical masiva y un ciclón que dañó gran parte de la costa este y el Atlántico medio en 1972. En ese momento, fue el huracán más costoso en golpear los Estados Unidos en historia registrada.

Agnes dañó parte de Maryland, incluyendo Patapsco Valley State Park, done aguas alcanzaron 40 pies más altos de lo normal y anecdóticamente alcanzó casi hasta la cima de los arcos del viaducto de Thomas. Muchos de los recursos históricos del parque fueron dañados o perdidos en el huracán, incluyendo la oficina central del parque en la área de Orange Grove. River Road fue destruido cerca de Ilchester y parte de él solo está abierto al tráfico peatonal incluso hoy.. La zona sur del parque fue cerrada para las reparaciones, pero reabrió más tarde.

Las primeras de mujeres

En 1974, Linda Wilkins se convirtió en la primera guardabosque femenina en Maryland, estacionada en Patapsco Valley State Park. Más tarde en la década de 1970 Cindy Hyde se convirtió en la primera trabajadora de mantenimiento femenina en el sistema de parques estatales de Maryland. Comenzó en Sandy Point State Park y más tarde llegó a trabajar en Patapsco.

Patapsco Valley Heritage Area

El Patapsco Valley Heritage Area (la área patrimonial del Valle de Patapsco) trabaja para preservar, proteger, interpretar, y restaurar el medioambiente, la historia, y la cultura local. Se asocian con el parque para apoyarlo a través de la mayordomía, recreación, turismo patrimonial, y más.

Acknowledgements

Muchas gracias a guardabosque voluntario e historiador Ed Johnson quien proporcionó un recorrido de historia de la parte sur del parque. Ha escrito varios artículos sobre la historia del parque y está trabajando publicarlos en un libro.

Many thanks to Volunteer Ranger and Historian Ed Johnson who provided a history tour of the southern portion of the park. He has written various articles on the history of the park and is working to publish them in a book. Preservation Maryland would also like to thank Michelle Ramirez, Multicultural Outreach Coordinator at Maryland State Parks.

This post was translated into Spanish by Katherine Longabaugh, one of Preservation Maryland’s Waxter Interns. Kate’s work with Preservation Maryland has focused on cataloging and archiving the organization’s large digital photography collection. She is originally from Seattle and is an undergraduate student at Goucher College studying Spanish, Historic Preservation, and Environmental Studies. Learn more about Kate and our intern program here: presmd.org/waxter

More about the Es Mi Parque Project

Support Preservation Maryland

Waxter Intern

A legacy gift from William D. Waxter, III established the Waxter Memorial Internship to help Preservation Maryland support the next generation in historic preservation.

Meet Our Team
Our Story Donate Press & Media Resources Contact Us Site by Younts Design Inc. © Preservation Maryland, 2020.