Brunswick, located in Frederick County, has a legacy as a town instrumental to American transportation history with busy canals and fast railroads fueled by the residents of the town. In early 2015, the City of Brunswick contacted Preservation Maryland with a request for assistance to help preserve the Old Berlin Cemetery, the endangered resting place of the town’s earliest residents.
St. Vincent de Paul Church has been a Baltimore institution since 1841 and is the oldest Roman Catholic parish in Baltimore to operate continuously in its original church structure. The church’s slender, 150-foot, Georgian style tower capped with a copper dome is a Baltimore landmark and Preservation Maryland recently assisted with preserving the facade of this important building.
In 2002, Dr. James and Gena Clifton were constructing new outbuildings on their farm in Bushwood, when they discovered old shards of pottery. They did the right thing in contacting local archaeologists, and future professional digs supported by the Heritage Fund indicated that the site was likely the seventeenth century manor of Dr. Thomas Gerard, one of the earliest Maryland settlers and an acquaintance of Lord Baltimore.