Historic Phillips Packing Plant, ca. 1930

Historic Phillips Packing Plant Open to New Tenants

10/27/2016
By Preservation Maryland

Our partners at the Eastern Shore Land Conservancy and Cross Street Partners are collaborating on a major rehabilitation project, that once complete, will revitalize the Cannery District of Cambridge, MD with 60,000 square feet of mixed-use space in a historic building.

The plan is to rehabilitate the Phillips Packing House Building into a mixed-use center for local food production, micro-brewing, non-profit organizations and companies/institutions seeking a collaborative work environment.

The massive industrial structure was originally built in 1920 as a furniture factory, and later became part of the Phillips Packing Company empire, which employed thousands of people in Cambridge at its peak and supplied rations to GIs during WWII.

Architectural rendering of rehabilitation concept plan

Rendering of historic packing plant after rehabilitation

The building features an open floor plan, soaring ceilings, and the opportunity to retain many historic architectural features that will enhance the space with an authentic, Eastern Shore manufacturing aesthetic. Adjacent to the Phillips Building is the future site of Cannery Park, a new central park for the City of Cambridge that will incorporate active and passive spaces for recreation.

The Factory is near heritage, commercial, and natural assets

The Factory is near heritage, commercial, and natural assets

Building Features

Companies, organizations, restaurants and startups interested in re-locating or establishing a presence in the space are encouraged to immediately contact Katie Parks, Director of the the Eastern Shore Land Conservancy’s Center for Towns directly.

 

Preservation Maryland

Preservation Maryland is Maryland’s first and largest organization dedicated to preserving the state’s historic buildings, neighborhoods, landscapes, and archaeological sites.

Meet Our Team
Our Story Donate Press & Media Resources Contact Us Site by Younts Design Inc. © Preservation Maryland, 2017.