Maryland State Parks has created their Es Mi Parque program to better connect a large and growing number of Latino visitors to the cultural, recreational and historic resources of Maryland. In partnership, Preservation Maryland will produce a series of brief park histories in English and Spanish.
Did you know? That iconic blue jar of Noxzema was invented and nurtured into an international company by Marylander George A. Bunting in the early 20th century. And now one of the company’s historic factory buildings is being transformed into new apartments and artists lofts in the Hampden neighborhood of Baltimore City.
Women's Exchange, Baltimore City, 1977. Photo from Maryland Historical Trust.
Baltimore’s Women’s Industrial Exchange seeks Community Input
11/08/2017 By Meagan Baco
Since 1880, the mission of the Women’s Industrial Exchange has been to offer opportunities and an outlet for the women of Baltimore to gain knowledge, skills, and resources which leads to their financial stability. The Exchange in reconfiguring their pursuits is inviting good ideas on how to best utilize their historic building and relevant function into the future.
The Board of the Women’s Exchange invites your thoughts on the highest and best use of their historic building including residential and commercial functions. Those meetings will be held at the Exchange at 333 North Charles Street in Baltimore City on Monday, November 13, 2017, 6-7pm and Saturday, November 18, 2017, 11am-Noon. For more information contact, firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-742-8452.
Senator Barbara Mikulski at the Women’s Exchange, 2001. Photo from the Women’s Exchange.
A BRIEF HISTORY
The Woman’s Industrial Exchange began in October of 1880, shortly after the Civil War in the home of Mrs. G. Harmon Brown of Baltimore, where women brought their handwork to be sold to local citizens and visitors. Mrs. Harmon’s endeavor was part of a nationwide exchange movement to help women in need discreetly earn a living. As the organization and services grew, the Exchange moved to their current building in 1889 on North Charles Street that includes a marble stoop, shop window, kitchen space, and upper floor apartments. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and included in the Baltimore National Heritage Area.